Frequently Asked Questions
To secure a booking, you will be required to pay 20% of the total booking fee at checkout. The remaining total is due 10 days before the hire date.
All Tasmanian Caravan Hire caravans are comprehensively insured. A breach of the hire agreement terms and conditions will void this cover. It is important to read and understand these terms and conditions. As detailed in the hire contract the excess on all Insurance Claims is $5000.00.
Accidents resulting in unroadworthy or unsafe damage (as deemed by Tasmanian Caravan Hire) will result in forfeiture of remaining hire fees.
Please note: the cost of repairs to awnings is not covered by insurance and is the liability of the hirer.
Tasmanian Caravan Hire can take no responsibility for valuables left in or stolen from the caravan. Insurance on personal property is the hirer's responsibility.
What Am I Liable For?
The hirer is liable for the cost of repairs related to the following events, including but not limited to:
- The vehicle is totally or partially immersed in water (regardless of the cause. Subject to Insurance Policy Definitions)
- The interior of the vehicle is damaged (regardless of the cause)
- The vehicle is damaged by driving it under or into an object lower than the height of the vehicle
- All damages up to the value of the excess - including damage to tyres & rims, punctures
- All awning repair costs are the responsibility of the hirer, regardless of cost.
As stated in the Hire Contract, before you hire one of our Caravans, let’s make sure that our vans are suitable for your needs, and the towing vehicle has the capacity to tow the Caravan that you wish to hire. This information is simple to find:
- Your vehicle Manufacturer’s Owners Handbook – Towing section: This is where you will find your vehicle’s ‘Gross Vehicle Mass’ rating. Compare this with the weight of the Caravan you wish to hire from us. You then need to consider how much weight (i.e your personal belongings) you add to your hire van, so as to ensure that the total loaded weight complies with your vehicle’s specifications.
- The ‘rating plate’ attached to your car’s towbar. The information on this plate will tell you the rated ‘Maximum Towing Capacity’, in kgs, of your towbar. This will be confirmed on pickup of the Hire Caravan.
- It is the Hirer’s responsibility to ensure that the vehicle’s compatibility and load weights are maintained at all times. We will not accept any responsibility for breaches of load capacity.
Brakes, Brakes & More Brakes??
All Tasmanian Caravan Hire vans are fitted with an ‘electric braking system’ which works in tandem with the towing vehicle (i.e your car). Your car will need to be wired for electric brakes.
If you do not have electric brakes on your tow vehicle, we have available a Portable Brake Control Unit, which will be suitable for most modern vehicles. This unit will be temporarily fitted to your car. [Minimal fee applies.] Alternatively (and we strongly recommend for longer term hires) we can assist with contact details of a local qualified installer who can fit a suitable, low-cost electric braking accessory to your tow vehicle.
What if I don’t want to Tow it?
Tasmanian Caravan Hire offer statewide Delivery & Setup and Pack Up & Pickup Service. Conditions and Additional Charges apply. Please enquire, if interested.
Can I bring pets?
Small Pets will be considered. Please discuss PRIOR to Hire.
Additional Cleaning Fees may apply.
What do I need to bring?
You need to bring:
- Bedding - Sheets / Doonas / Pillows; (Linen package available for a once off fee)
- Towels - Bath & Beach (A bath mat for when you get out of the shower is a good idea);
- Food / Drinks;
- Board Games, and
- A sense of adventure
How Does The TV Work?
The TV /DVD players run on 240v or 12v. The aerial can be factory fitted wind up style, or an aerial fitted to the van exterior. Please take note reception may not be available in some areas due to signal strength.
How Does The Fridge Work?
Most Tasmanian Caravan Hire caravans are fitted with 3 way fridges.
They can run from 3 different power sources.
- 240v; connected through caravan power supply;
- 12v Battery; a fully functional 12 pin trailer socket, wired accordingly, will be required to run the fridge. Please discuss prior to pick up.
- Gas mode; runs off a gas cylinder stored on the caravan.
These fridges require a level surface and a minimum 5-6 hours to cool down. They operate best out of direct sun.
Will Air Conditioners / Heating and Microwaves run off battery packs?
No, all these appliances require 240v to operate. Some of our caravans are fitted with Diesel Heaters which do not require 240v to operate.
What if I have a problem whilst away?
Call us on 0409 259 469
What if I want to stay longer?
Please Call. If the van you have is not booked - we will be happy to extend your stay. Payment arrangements will need to be made.
Cleaning The Caravan
As we are sure you can appreciate, Caravan Cleanliness is one of our major priorities. The Caravan has been presented in a clean condition. As per the Hire Agreement, it is required to be returned clean.
To avoid incurring a cleaning fee on return, please see the list below for what is required. On submitting your booking you were offered cleaning as an optional extra. A full clean starts at $150 per hire.
It’s not too late to add this option to your hire. Please notify Vin should you wish to add this now.
- Check cupboards for your personal belongings. (This will also save you P&H costs)
- Wash and Dry the dishes.
- Clean the stove top, griller and oven (as applicable)
- Wipe down all benches and tables.
- Empty the fridge and freezer.
- Turn the fridge off and place a tea towel in the freezer compartment.
- Wipe out the fridge (including door shelves and crispers). Please leave the other tea towel in the bottom of the fridge.
- Wipe out the microwave.
- Clean the shower cubicle.
- Clean the toilet and vanity basin. Wipe the mirrors.
- Clean around the washing machine. Check the washing machine cupboard for any clothing items. Empty the lint filters. (As applicable)
- Empty and rinse the toilet cassette, and clean and dry the cavity areas.
- Empty the rubbish bin.
- Sweep the floor.
- Rinse the waste hose – run some clean water through it.
- Wash exterior, including awning.
To assist you in the above, we have provided;
- Broom, Dustpan and Brush
- Microfibre Cloths
- Cleaning Product
- Dishwashing Detergent
- Sponge & Dish brush
- Tea Towels
The Caravan needs to be returned in the same condition it was in when you hired it. To avoid having to find the time & the inconvenience at the end of your holiday, let us do the cleaning for you. We will clean the van inside & out upon return, we charge $60.00 per hour. Because we are so good at it & well set up for it, on average it takes 2 ½ hours. Caravans requiring cleaning on return will have cleaning fees deducted from security bond.
Tasmanian Caravan Hire can take no responsibility for valuables left in or stolen from the caravan. Insurance on personal property is the Hirer’s Responsibility.
Goods left in the caravans will only be held for 21 days after caravan return. We can arrange postage of goods if required (fees apply) please enquire.
All of our caravans have the following features that enable free or unpowered camping sites to be used.
- 12v LED Lighting
- Battery Systems
- 12v TV / DVD player -optional
- Battery Systems
- 12v CD / Radio
- Gas Cooktop / Rangehood
- Gas Hot Water Service / Water Pumps /Exhaust
- 3 Way Fridges
- Solar Panel
- Diesel Heater – where fitted*
(Please Note: the Air Conditioner/Heater, Power Points and Microwave will not operate without 240v power)
Off Grid Diesel Heater use will place a large drain off the power supply on start up. The Diesel Heaters will fail to ignite without adequate Battery power, however all other appliances will continue to operate long after this. No Sun, No Solar input.